I have had this pipe hanging around for at least a couple of years. I keep seeing it but get distracted by other pipes/jobs. I had a friend contact me yesterday about finding a groomsman gift and he specifically asked about meerschaum or meerschaum-lined pipes. Awesome! The perfect opportunity to finally get this pipe cleaned up!
Here are the before pictures:
I wet-sanded the stem with 500 grit, 1000 grit, and 1200 grit. This process helps remove grime and oxidation off the stem. I didn’t get a picture of it, but this stem did have an extra metal part on the tenon. I used steel wool on the metal part. Scrubbed the inside of the stem with pipe cleaners and vodka. The stem gets finished with a buffing of red tripoli and a buffing or carnauba wax.
I lightly reamed the cake build-up off the inside. I was very careful to not hurt or damage the meerschaum-lining. Some of the lacquer/stain was coming off of the bowl already, so I decided to remove the stain completely. I sanded the outside of the bowl with 500 grit, 1000 grit, and 1200 grit. I then lightly sanded the top of the meerschaum-lining to bring back some of it’s original white color and smooth it out. The bowl gets finished with a buffing of red tripoli and a buffing of carnauba wax.
Here is the finished product!
Thanks for looking!