Dunhill Pipe Refurb

Ooooweeeee! I got this pipe 2-3 years ago in a lot I bought on eBay. I kept putting off the refurb because it looked like a no-name pipe to me. Upon closer inspection, I found that the stem had a dot on it. The dot looked yellow because of the severity of the oxidation to the stem. But after I found the dot, I whipped out my trusty magnifying glass and took a closer look at the writing on the bottom of the bowl/shank. I could make out a “Du” and “England” and a few numbers. I thought to myself, could it be? Is it possible that this is a Dunhill? It is indeed! Here are the goods:

Dunhill 1

Dunhill 2

Those first two pics I took on the fly and prior to a bleach bath for the stem. Here is after the bleach bath:







After the bleach bath on the stem, I wet sanded to get the remaining oxidation off. I used 500 grit, 1000 grit, and 1200 grit. In addition to the hole in the stem, the end of the stem had been deformed. I used a patching solution to slowly layer on the hole and build it back. I then used more of my patching solution to rebuild the walls near the button on both sides to even it up. I then cleaned/sanitized the inside of the stem. I finished the stem with a buffing of red tripoli and then a buffing of carnauba wax.

The bowl was in better condition than the stem. I reamed the bowl clean of old carbon build up. I then sanitized/cleaned the inside of the shank and the bowl with a very high proof vodka. After the bowl/shank dried out, I added a professional grade bowl coating to the inside of the bowl. The bowl was then finished with a buffing of red tripoli and light buffing of carnauba. I didn’t buff the sides too much because I didn’t want to get wax stuck in the crevices.

Here is the final result:









Thank you for checking it out!